Professor James Forbes was recently named as a William Dawson Scholar. Professor Forbes joins a select group of early-career professors at McGill University who have demonstrated particular promise. More specifically, "The William Dawson Scholar award recognizes a scholar developing into an outstanding and original researcher of world-class caliber who is poised to become a leader in his or her field, similar to that of a CRC Tier II chair holder."
On May 7th, Charles Gauvin won the 2017 GERAD Best Thesis Competition for his thesis titled "Méthodes d'optimisation robuste pour le problème de gestion de réservoirs". He was supervised by Michel Gendreau from Polytechnique Montréal and Erick Delage from HEC Montréal.
The last issue of the Newsletter is now available. Enjoy!
- Spotlights on ... - Pushing blackbox and derivative-free optimization into the mainstream
- Impact papers - Extracting latent states from high-frequency options prices
- Collaborations - MILA: Artificial intelligence for good
- Actions and Interactions - 2018 thematic year: Smart cities
- Who are they? - Mehiddin Al-Baali
- Postdoctoral fellows - Amine Amrouss, Margarida Carvalho, Amir Farshbaf-Geranmayeh, Patrick Munroe
- Where are they now? - Ramla Jarrar, Goran Stojkovic, Marnie Vodounou
Full Professor Gilbert Laporte was awarded an honorary doctorate from the Université de Liège, Belgium, in recognition of the quality of his work. The insignia were conferred on behalf of His Majesty the King of the Belgians and of the Government of the French Community in Belgium, during a ceremony in Liège on March 24.