International Summer School
On Multiple Criteria Decision Aid 2003
"Concerted Resource Management and Sustainable
Development: Processes and Tools"
May 26 to June 6, 2003
School Location: HEC Montréal
(Building #28 on the
3000, chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine
Montréal (Qc) H3T 2A7
Goals and Designated Public
The aim of the school is to give a state-of-the-art presentation of multiple
criteria methods, applications and software. A special attention will be given on
"Concerted Resource Management and Sustainable Development: processes and tools".
The term resources means here all kind of resources: financial, human, material,
natural. These concepts and tools are presented in a didactic way and they illustrate
the complementarity of the approaches which can be found in the literature.
They follow a clue from problem structuring till operation methods.
Software presentations and case studies are also included in the program.
Multicriteria decision aid (MCDA) is a rapidly evolving domain which
scientific developments are altogether based on fundamental sciences as
mathematics, computer science, operation research, engineering, etc. and
on social sciences and management science as sociology, management, political
sciences. Interdisciplinarity needs a special involvement and will to insure
full collaboration. The field of application is continuously expanding and
social demands are numerous.
The specific objectives of the school are:
- to exchange knowledge to provide an efficient approach of real life decision problems;
- to present recent developments in MCDA methods and practices;
- to present software developments;
- to analyse and discuss several applications of MCDA to complex evaluation situations.
The designated public is the following:
- people involved in the professional life
(staff members in Government and Industry, managers, consultants)
and who wish to familiarize with the tools on Multicriteria decision aid
in view to use them in the frame of their work;
- young researchers who wish to achieve a thesis on the subject or to carry
on a personal work which uses Multicriteria decision aid or to in-depth their
knowledge in this discipline in order to complete their training.
It is very important that both categories described be present
in order to favour the exchanges between people
who are used to deal with decision problems in very different manners.
The ideal number of participants is about 40 and, in any case, less than 50.
The official language of the School is English.
No simultaneous translation will be provided.
GERAD Research Center
(Group for Research in Decision Analysis)
- International Society on MCDA: Chairman, Valérie
Belton, Professor of Management Science, Strathclyde University, United Kingdom;
- The two working groups of EURO (The Association of European Operational Research Societies)
- Euro Working Group "Aide multicritère à la décision":
Chairman, Bernard Roy, Professor at Lamsade, Université de Paris-Dauphine,
- ESIGMA Group (European Special Interest Group on
Multicriteria Analysis): Chairman, Theo Stewart, Professor of Statistical Sciences,
Capetown University, South Africa.
Permanent International Scientific Committee
The Chairman of the Scientific Committee of the International Summer Schools in MCDA is presently Ph. Vincke from Belgium.
This committee is constituted of eight people, who are :
- V. Belton (United Kingdom): Chairman of the International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Aid
- C. Bana e Costa (Portugal): Representative of the ESIGMA Group
- P. Korhonen (Finland): Representative of the International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Aid
- B. Matarazzo (Italy): Organizer of the former International Summer School on Multiple Criteria Decision Aid
- B. Roy (France): Chairman of the Euro Working Group "Aide multicritère à la décision"
- Th. Stewart (South Africa): Chairman of the ESIGMA Group
- Ph. Vincke (Belgium): Representative of the Euro Working Group "Aide multicritère à la décision"
- J.-P. Waaub (Canada): Organizer of the International Summer School on Multiple Criteria Decision Aid 2003
Local Scientific Committee
- Jean-Philippe Waaub (UQAM): In charge of the 2003 Scientific Program
- Adel Guitouni (Defense Research and Development Canada, Valcartier)
- Jean-Philippe Waaub (UQAM)
- Carole Dufour (GERAD)
- Francine Benoît (GERAD)
- Pierre Girard (GERAD)
- Kazimier Zaras (UQAT)
Last update : June 12, 2003